Tuesday, March 24, 2009


It has been one heck of a day! My sweet mother in law told me this morning to take it easy. This is wonderful -- much needed -- advice. I wish that I had the opportunity to take it easy today. This is quite the story -- so I hope you make it to the end. Needless to say -- it is one o'clock in the morning ... I just hope that it makes sense!

Rayma came over today to help me around the house since it was Joe's first day back to work after Jace was born. Because Jace has jaundice, we had to go and get his poor foot poked AGAIN to see how his levels are reacting. They actually went down today (mini celebration ... enjoy it!). Yesterday he was at a 17.6 and today a 16.3. I don't know what that means exactly, but I do know that it means he is getting over his jaundice. We also had an appointment with his pediatrician at 11. Poor Rayma ended up being my chauffeur today instead of hanging out around the house! I know she didn't mind. I am so glad she was with me today -- I needed her! Okay ... back on track! We got to Dr. Witt's office and they weighed Jace. He was born at 8 lbs 4 oz. He left the hospital at 7 lbs 2 oz. Today he weighed 6 lbs 11 oz. He has lost 19% of his birth weight in 8 days. This is scary. Dr. Witt told us that the jaundice is very much on the back burner now -- because we know that can be fixed. He told us to go straight to Primary Children's Hospital to get some fluids in him. The problem is when they are dehydrated we worry about a high sodium level. IF the sodium levels are high he could have seizures. IF they fix the levels too fast, it could cause problems in the brain. We figured he got this way because of the Jaundice. The jaundice makes him tired, if he is tired he doesn't eat as well ... now he is dehydrated. That is our course of thought. By the way Dr. Witt talked about it -- we would be in and out in about an hour or two. Rayma, Joe, Jace and I quickly ran up to the hospital.

As we were walking into the hospital Joe said: "It is my first time in an ER. It is too bad it has to be with my 8 day old son!" When we got checked in they checked his vitals. They took his temperature with the anal thermometer. This must have gotten something working inside of him because he pooped and pooped! He makes his momma proud! We had been trying to get him to poop since Sunday night. They called us back to ER room #13. The resident came in and told us that his temperature was very low. They packed him up in all sorts of blankets to heat him up. The problem with a low or high temp at this age is that is a sign of infection. Because he is so little there isn't time for guess work. They test him for EVERYTHING {!!} and eliminate what isn't wrong rather than guess and check. The poor guy has had his heel pricked too many times to count. He had to have a catheter at one point. He has both hands connected to IVs. She said that they have only taken a couple of teaspoons of blood at this point -- but I think she meant something bigger -- tablespoons -- gallons -- don't really know. They have kept coming back and back to get more blood. He has had to have a tube go down into his lungs to check his fluids there. He has a heart monitor, oxygen monitor, and respiratory monitor making sure everything is in line. The worst was when he had to have his spinal fluid checked. They scrunched him up into a tight ball so his spine would be straight and still then drained fluid from his spine. Through all of this he has only cried a handful of times. I feel so bad for him.

All that we can conclude right now is that his sodium levels are high. They are keeping him at PCH for at least a day or two. I don't mind all of these things being done to me. I had all sorts of things connected to me last week -- it wasn't pleasant -- but watching someone you love go through it is a completely different story. I have been a basket case all day long. The poor nurse was trying to talk to me and it was through many many tears that I listened to her. I am glad that they are being thorough -- but thoroughness is scary until it all comes back negitive. I honestly don't know what I would have done without Rayma today. She was my rock. I love her. I also know that Mom was here too -- and my Grandpa and Grandma Fautin. I needed them.

At this point I just feel numb. I have cried off and on all day today -- and being tired -- my eyes are as dry as can be! I have been in a dr. office with Jace since 9 am. Poor Joe had to be at work today -- he has the misfortune of not knowing what was going on!! That had to be hard. I just am praying that he is fine and nothing massive will come out of this. Not a fun day at all!

We took some pictures with Rayma's cell phone. If I can get them transferred to the computer I will post them. All of the nurses today have just oohed and ahhed over his massive amount of cuteness! They love his lower lip -- everyone loves his lower lip! One nurse asked if she could cuddle him before she left for the night. We had only been her patient for about 15 minutes before she got off -- Everyone loves Jace!

More updates will come as we know more! Until then I get to try to sleep on the rocking chair. Joe will be mad that I didn't wake him up tonight -- but he might have to go back to work tomorrow ... and should rest. I can always sleep in the morning. All I want to do right now is cuddle my little man!!!


Jess and Jen said...

Hey guys, good luck with this. I hope the tests return that he was just thirsty and that he will start eating again! Good luck and don't spend too much time at PCMC. -Jess

Lynsey said...

Oh my gosh! Jen I'm so sorry. I know how hard it is to see your baby hooked up to all sorts of tubes. I hope they can figure out what is wrong and that he has a speedy recovery. You will all be in our prayers. Hang in there. If you need to talk, call me.

Mom and Dad said...

Oh, Jen, I am so sorry for all of this. Guess Rayma is getting the crash course on being Grandma after yesterday!
Bless you, all three of you in your little family! So sorry for all the worry you are going through. Thanks for letting us know, and I'm glad things are getting better this Wed. morning. Thanks for Joe's call.
Love you much. You are in our thoughts and prayers! Ann

Lyman and Kim said...

I started to cry when I read your post! No baby should have to go through what Jace did. Your words brought back not so pleasant memories of Bentley going through a lot of those exact things. However, I'm thankful that you had Rayma there and Joe for the time he could. Support is everything. PCMC is an amazing hospital with amazing nurses and doctors so let that put you to ease at least a little. I'm praying for Jace so that he can return home soon all well and all he will need to worry about is the hair style the dogs will give him next. Please let me know if you need anything and I will be there in a heartbeat...know that drive well!

Tink said...

Wow! I'm so sorry to hear all of this. I've been out of the blogging realm for a while to come and read about your blog and all that is happening with Jace! You are in my thoughts and prayers. Casey and Laura both went through similar things and it is completely nerve-wracking! Hugs to you my friend.